Request: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Cheesecake
This is a special request from my good friend Geoff and it is in fact his 25th birthday present from me to him. Geoff spent quite a while deciding that this was what he wanted and I could hardly deny his request because frankly… it’s pretty awesome. I’m a big fan of Castlevania but after watching a play-through of the most recent instalment, Lords of Shadow, on the 360 I’ve yet to brave it myself (seriously one of the greatest endings to a game ever ). I had been tempted to do a Castlevania entry before, often distracted by the German-esque “bakery” levels filled with breads and treats that sometimes fly at your face. So I was glad that Geoff pointed out this delicious looking cheesecake. According to its description on the Castlevania Wiki it is “with chocolate chips” but one drunken conversation later we agreed that the strawberry topping angle was the way to go for maximum tastiness and Alucard would probably pick around the chocolate chips anyway.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 6-8.
What you will need: A 20cm cake tin, baking/greaseproof paper, rolling pin, large mixing bowl, wooden spoons, whisk, small bowl, pan.
For the Base:
85ml / ⅓ Cup Melted Butter
140g / ¾ Cup Digestive Biscuits
1 Tablespoon Golden Caster Sugar
For the Cheesecake:
600g / 3 Cups Cream Cheese
170g / ⅔ Cup Golden Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoons Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
2 Large eggs
150ml / ¾ Sour Cream
For the Strawberry Glaze:
500g / 4 Cups Strawberries
150g / ¾ Cup Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoons Ground Arrowroot
Making the Base:
- Prepare the cake tin by buttering and lining the base and sides with baking/greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Put the biscuits in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin (should your claymore be at the cleaners) to bash them into crumbs, then place in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat and pour over the biscuit crumbs along with the tablespoon of sugar.
- Mix well until the butter has been absorbed and then press the biscuit mixture firmly and evenly to the base of the prepared cake tin. Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, remove and set aside to cool - make sure it has cooled completely otherwise you will end up with a soggy base like I did.
Making the Cheesecake Filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese gently until creamy and slowly add the sugar. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir in slowly making sure to clean the sides of the bowl.
- Whisk in the vanilla and lemon juice. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time and then the sour cream whisking gently, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the filling over the buttery biscuit base, gently tap or knock the tin to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 160C/320F, then reduce to 90C/190F and cook for 20-40 minutes. I found just keeping an eye on the cake until the centre was a little wobbly but firm was best.
- Leave it out to cool, the top may crack but don’t worry as this will be covered. After an hour you can put it in the fridge to continue cooling.
Making the Strawberry Glaze:
- Chop the 500g of strawberries, place in a pan, bring to the boil with about 6 tablespoons of water and the sugar.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons of arrowroot with some water to create a runny paste.
- Once the mixture has boiled in the pot, add the arrowroot water a teaspoon at a time until it begins to thicken then remove from the heat and leave to cool for several minutes.
- Once cooled slightly pour/spread the strawberry glaze over the cheesecake and return to the fridge to chill for several hours.
I have never made cheesecake in my life. The making of was relatively easy but then the lengthy cooking and cooling process is something I wish I’d planned better and well in advance… because as I write this it’s later than I would like and I’m praying I can post this before the clock ticks onto midnight and ruin my Wednesday posting spree. It might be a little rough around the edges, but it’s still a cheesecake! And it’s one hell of a tasty one. Despite the upset tummy and ills I may incur I had to steal a little piece to taste. I will make this again most likely, only with 3 days before it’s actually needed so I wont have to cry into a pot of boiling strawberries (the tears make it taste sweeter). You see Geoff, you SEE the lengths I go to for you?! It was great to have a challenge for once though, not everything should run so smoothly all the time and the result did taste pretty excellent - it’s just one of those things you need to make a few times to perfect. The base ended up a bit softer than I would have liked, so I’ve edited the recipe accordingly - other than this it tasted perfect! I can’t seem to think of a Castlevania qu-whip without it sounding too cheesy… oh, oops. (Also sorry for the late posting - I’ve had the flu this week)
Like this? You might also enjoy the Sims - Key Lime Pie.
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x likes this
- slaaneshi-apostle likes this
- polapipo reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- svmmichvn likes this
- asktheherosdarkside likes this
- maragallen likes this
- masterphreak likes this
- the-arzac likes this
- willowpudge27 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- willowpudge27 likes this
- peachkind likes this
- carrotborealis likes this
- treesaresassy reblogged this from prancessjawsu
- prancessjawsu reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- orgasmicoreo likes this
- nonssensse reblogged this from satinhands
- thesonofhypnos likes this
- satinhands reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- domainrave reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bojacloud reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- like-daisy likes this
- usagi-sioh likes this
- leonleonhart likes this
- nottillivehadmycoffee likes this
- kpopmunchkin1 likes this
- tinabaginafoefina reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- tinabaginafoefina likes this
- haprannigan likes this
- lynnetendo likes this
- candlelightchaos28 likes this
- candlelightchaos28 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- zekeurom reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- tsuki-chans-fangirling reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- roguishwolves likes this
- shadowofnite likes this
- erinthetrickster likes this
- missmonochromexiii likes this
- improbablysleepy likes this
- ltamazil likes this
- nokachishikimime likes this
- surfkurchy likes this
- strawberrygreekyoghurt reblogged this from green-chan
- strawberrygreekyoghurt likes this
- green-chan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- green-chan likes this
- cutelacute likes this
- dwreckillion likes this
- deathslittlegirllizu likes this
- amegastunfisk likes this