Portal - The Cake is a Lie
For my first attempt at Gourmet Gaming I thought I’d start with possibly the most famous case of food in a video game - so it’s obviously the cake from Portal. I’m well aware of the in-game recipe which includes fish shaped garnishes and industrial by-products (and perhaps I will attempt this more faithful, if insane, recipe at some point) but I wanted to create something from scratch , something that didn’t involve getting your cake from a box; this is Gourmet Gaming after all.
My Portal Cake is a devils food cake with a vanilla cream cheese filling, smothered in a chocolate ganache. It’s incredibly rich and moist and perfect for anyone who loves chocolate. It’s also (thankfully) surprisingly easy to make!
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 8-10.
What you will need: Two 8 inch cake pans, baking/greaseproof paper and an icing bag/pipe
For the Cake:
100g / ½ Cup High Quality (70-85%) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
180g / 1⅓ Cup Plain White Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder
120g / ⅔ Cup Butter
330g / 1½ Cups Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
125ml / ½ Cup Fresh Coffee
125ml / ½ Cup Milk
For the Filling:
100g / ½ Cup Cream Cheese
50g / ½ Cup Butter
100g / 1 Cup Icing Sugar (You may want to add more or less depending on how sweet you like it)
½ Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
For the Ganache:
200g / 1 Cup High Quality (70-85%) Dark Chocolate
125ml / ½ Cup Double Cream
100g / ½ Cup Butter
For the Garnish:
50g / ½ Cup of High Quality (70-85%) Chocolate Grated
8 Maraschino Cherries
1 Birthday Candle
Baking the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350F) and adjust the racks to create a baking space in the middle.
- Butter and line the base of your cake pans with baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl (or a food mixer) beat together the sugar and butter until it is smooth, creamy and pale. Add the eggs one and a time until everything is mixed together evenly. Add a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Mix the coffee and milk together (make sure it is cool). Add half of the dry ingredients along with the milky coffee to the butter mixture, mix then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir gently.
- Separate the mixture in half between your two preprepared cake pans. Bake them in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Until when a skewer inserted into the middle it comes out almost clean. (If it is entirely clean it will have baked for too long and may end up slightly dry!)
- Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pans. They should be cooled completely before you attempt to frost them.
Making the Filling:
- Mix together the cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add a few drops of vanilla to taste and gradually add the icing sugar whlie mixing. Add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you like your frosting.
- Separate enough of the mixture to pipe the 8 white “drop flowers” on top of the cake.
Making the Ganache:
- Chop the chocolate into very small pieces into a medium bowl.
- Slowly heat the cream and butter in a separate bowl set over a pan with water in it, making sure the bowl isn’t touching the water. Be careful not to boil the mixture.
- Once thoroughly heated, remove from the heat and pour the cream and butter over the chocolate and stir gently until it is smooth.
- Leave the Ganache to cool gradually at room temperature, this may take up to an hour. Do not let it cool completely as it will become impossible to spread.
Preparing the Cake:
- Once your cake layers have cooled you may want to carefully even them out with a knife if there are any lumps and bumps.
- Turn one of them upside down so that the flat side is facing upward. This will be the top layer of the cake.
- On top of the bottom layer spread some of vanilla frosting liberally, being careful not to go to over the edges (Don’t forget to leave some for the top garnish!).
- Place the second cake layer, the one you turned upside down, on top of the iced one and cover the top and sides of your cake with the chocolate ganache.
- Apply the 50g of grated chocolate evenly to the top and sides of the cake.
- Fill your icing bag or funnel with the vanilla frosting you set aside earlier and use a medium sized nozzle. Imagining the top of your cake as a clock, squeeze out small amounts of icing at the 12 and 6 positions, then the 3 and 9 and once more between each of the 4 points so that you end up with 8 “drop flower” decorations.
- Place a maraschino cherry on top of each white frosting detail.
- Place the birthday candle in the middle of the cake and light.
I’ll be completely honest about my experience baking this cake and sadly my frosting and ganache failed to come together on three attempts due to the soya based products I had to use. I’m lactose intolerant and part of the challenge in my baking/cooking is creating recipes so I can eat them too. I’ve been doing this for 4 years since I discovered I could no longer eat dairy. My recipes will always be available in dairy free (and often vegan friendly) form unless otherwise stated. Thankfully I had some back-up canned frosting so I could finish my cake and there is no shame is using these; they are often dairy and egg free for extended shelf life purposes. However the frosting and ganache recipes I’ve provided will work perfectly with proper dairy based ingredients.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Minecraft - Cake.
- karnzter likes this
- 19shadesofshannon likes this
- saigamagoni93 likes this
- grasswhistles reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- mattmankoga likes this
- glitt3r-veins reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- aegis-kitty likes this
- bisexual-hobbit reblogged this from atelierataraxia
- bisexual-hobbit likes this
- atelierataraxia reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- darthkaro likes this
- trunkuza likes this
- nyemvula reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- devilsdocry likes this
- melodyfelidae reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- damnitfeelsgoodtobeagibsongirl likes this
- sugar-apocalypse likes this
- glitterdustcyclops likes this
- akemihatiko likes this
- zazzlefrass reblogged this from kawaiidesuyolo
- startingoveraftertroubles likes this
- docterpoopybutt likes this
- jaimieslay likes this
- ronaldreganisnotdead likes this
- millis likes this
- nekosora-chan likes this
- cosmicocks likes this
- thewolffreelancer likes this
- thewolffreelancer reblogged this from chrystallene
- chrystallene reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- chrystallene likes this
- hopefullydespair likes this
- chicken-thugget reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- la-parapluie-rouge reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- redactedberger likes this
- klutzedufus likes this
- klutzedufus reblogged this from birdsan
- birdsan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- joshman110 reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- captainvortex42 likes this
- whenkiwisfly likes this
- novulpixthatsmypotpie likes this
- spasticbutfantastic reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- backonmonday reblogged this from opkft
- mayonessa likes this
- opkft reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- agentwashingbird likes this
- beyond-her-tomb reblogged this from thomas-hickeys-dickie
- thomas-hickeys-dickie reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- suiyou likes this