The Cave: Magnifico the Magnificent’s Invisible Cupcake
On its release several weeks ago, I was completely addicted to the wonderful little puzzle game that is The Cave. On my first adventure through its murky depths, I took with me The Adventurer, The Time Traveller and The Monk. The moment I had to travel back in time to block some dripping water to prevent a stalactite being formed in the present… ! I was sold. One of the more darker tales was that of The Hillbilly; a story of love and loss at the carnival, from whence our magical cupcake appears.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 16 cupcakes.
What you will need: A muffin tray, brown cupcake cases, 3 mixing bowls, a whisk, a piping bag and a large nozzle.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
150g / ¾ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
50ml / ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
400g / 1½ Cups Caster/Superfine Sugar
3 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
200g / 1¾ Cups Flour
125g / 1 Cup High Quality Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ Teaspoon Baking/Bicarbonate Soda
Pinch of Salt
225ml / 1 Cup Milk
For the Strawberry Frosting:
110g / ½ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
450g / 2 Cups Strawberry Flavoured Icing/Confectioners Sugar
2-3 Tablespoons Milk
Red Maraschino Cherries
Making the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Line the muffin tray with the cupcake cases, and preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil and butter together until pale and smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each one, then add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking/bicarbonate soda and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter, and stir in. Next and half the milk and stir again. Repeat with the rest of the flour, follow by the milk until gently combined.
- Fill the cupcake cases, and bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Until firm, but springy to the touch. Once baked, leave the cupcakes to cool completely.
Making the Strawberry Frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until pale. Gradually add the strawberry flavoured icing/confectioners sugar while continuing to beat. Add a few tablespoons of milk as needed to thin the frosting to the desired consistency.
Garnishing Magnifico the Magnificent’s Invisible Cupcake:
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large nozzle with the strawberry frosting. Pipe a large swirl on top of the cupcake. Garnish with a drizzle of strawberry sauce, a sprinkle of edible glitter and a cherry on top.
- Put the cupcake into your mouth and… tah-dah! Invisible! And yet the weight still counts - Magic!
If there’s one thing you should get more of at carnivals, beyond the hot-dogs and candy-floss, it’s cupcakes. Maybe that should be “cup-cakes” and it would be accepted among the other hyphenated foods… Chocolatey and delicious, there has never been such a thing as a disappointing cupcake. I only wish they were actually invisible, so then I could eat as many as I liked and no one would realise what a piggy I was being. I would simply appear to be yawning.
Gourmet Gaming is saddened to hear of Ron Gilbert’s recent departure from Double Fine, but look forward to the games he may make in the future.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Costume Quest - Mossy Log.
- olxmpics likes this
- raupenimmerasatt reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- marshmallowservant likes this
- tea-with-pugs likes this
- r-ainserenity likes this
- gelbgula reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- gelbgula likes this
- nvzfoodref reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lovetobetheunderdog likes this
- legolas-the-house-elf likes this
- gemduelistjohan likes this
- scarfandre likes this
- shsl-goldenrecords likes this
- blackcalendula likes this
- ivorykitten likes this
- ediblyartistic reblogged this from qlax
- serialchimerachosis reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- clarkeybaby likes this
- tacocattacos likes this
- relhatetionship likes this
- nerdyrecipes reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- rielletheoddwriter likes this
- insaneandsippingtea likes this
- camembertlylegal likes this
- raisinbman reblogged this from kitnighty
- raisinbman likes this
- rosecoveredtardis reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kryptonitex3 reblogged this from doublefine
- studioknockout likes this
- atagnezethami likes this
- ichiigosan likes this
- thecatsaidmeow reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thecatsaidmeow likes this
- kitnighty reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- gropeworthy reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- blogging-n-stuff likes this
- muffinfcker likes this
- lyssa-jayne reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lyssa-jayne likes this
- mynamekanit likes this
- banzaifefs reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- banzaifefs likes this
- mmolpert reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sarah-tiggywinkle reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- sarah-tiggywinkle likes this
- cloudywithachanceofprecipisatan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- madu2oo likes this
- euphoria-elation reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- euphoria-elation likes this
- charlie-carmichael likes this