Guild Wars 2 – Chocolate Omnomberry Cake
It’s been a shocking length of time since there’s been a cake on Gourmet Gaming, so I thought I’d challenge myself with something that only a master baker in the land of Tyria can achieve. On your travels across many a Vista you may discover some Omnomberries. There’s a lot you can do with these delicious, mythical fruits, but no matter the land a cake is always popular. Whether you’re skilled enough to combine your wet and dry ingredients just right, or wealthy enough to procure such a delicacy from the towns patisserie a Chocolate Omnomberry Cake is a worthy treat.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 8.
What you will need: Three 8-inch round sandwich tins, greaseproof paper/baking parchment, a sieve, a knife/cake leveller, wooden spoon/hand whisk, 3 large mixing bowls, a pastry brush, an icing spatula, a small bowl, 2 icing bags and a no.8 star nozzle.
For the Cake:
120g / ⅔ Cup Butter
300g / 1⅓ Cups Caster/Fine Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
200ml / 1 Cup Milk
100g / ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
180g / 1½ Cups Plain Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ Teaspoon Baking/Bicarbonate Soda
Kirsch/Maraschino Cherry Juice
8 Fresh Small Mint Leaves
For the Omnomberry Frosting:
110g / ½ Cup Unsalted Butter
230g / 2 Cups Icing/Confectioners Sugar
¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Tablespoons Kirsch/Maraschino Cherry Juice
- Ruby Red
- Grape Violet
For the Chocolate Frosting:
180g / ⅔ Cup Unsalted Butter
440g / 3½ Cups Icing/Confectioners Sugar
80g / ⅔ Cup High Quality Cocoa Powder
4 Tablespoons Milk
Preparing the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Grease and line three 8-inch round sandwich tins and set aside. Ensure all your ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Once pale and combined, add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the butter mixture. Pour over the milk and gently fold until the cake batter is formed.
- Distribute the batter evenly between two of the tins, then only half fill the third tin with the batter. The third tin will create the flatter, middle layer of the final cake.
- Bake the cake layers in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes. They’re ready when firm and springy, and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the layers from the oven and allow them to cool before removing from their tins and setting aside to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, add the blueberries and cover with Chambord/raspberry juice. Add some of the grape violet food colouring to dye the berries a rich Omnomberry purple. Leave it aside to infuse.
Making the Omnomberry Frosting:
- Beat the butter until pale and creamy. Gradually add the icing/confectioners sugar and continue to beat. Finally add the vanilla extract and Kirsch/maraschino cherry juice and mix well.
- Add a few drops of food colouring gradually until the right shade is achieved. If the frosting is too thick, slowly add more liquid. If it’s too thin, add more icing/confectioners sugar until it’s smooth and spreadable.
Making the Chocolate Frosting:
- Beat the butter until pale and creamy. Gradually and alternately add the icing/confectioners sugar and cocoa powder. Add the milk alternately to thin out the frosting until it’s smooth and easy to spread.
Making the Chocolate Omnomberry Cake:
- Even out the cake layers, removing any lumps and bumps on top so that they may be stacked. Take the thinner chocolate layer, and using a pastry brush gently brush some Kirsch or maraschino cherry juice over it evenly.
- Keep about a cup full of Omnomberry frosting aside for garnish later. Starting with one of the thicker layers, spread a generous amount of Omnomberry frosting over it, then stack with the thinner Kirsch/cherry soaked layer. Cover the thin middle layer with the Omnomberry frosting, then top with the final thicker cake layer.
- Keep about a cup full of Chocolate frosting aside for garnish later. Take the chocolate frosting and begin coating the cake in a rough, thin layer of frosting around the sides and top. Put the cake into the fridge for an hour to chill.
- Once chilled, remove the cake and begin to neatly frost it. Smoothing out any edges and keeping it even all around. Return the cake to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fill two icing bags, one with the leftover chocolate and the other with the leftover Omnomberry frosting. Take the cake from the fridge again, carefully pipe chocolate stars around the edge of the cake, leaving an even space between each one.
- Next, pipe Omnomberry stars between the chocolate stars to make a complete border. Evenly place the soaked blueberries around the top of the cake, and garnish each one with a tiny sprig of mint.
Taking inspiration from Black Forest cake, I decided to combine the flavours of three berries, raspberry, cherry and blueberry, to create a unique Omnomberry essence. Entirely luscious, there’s a great range of texture and flavours that perfectly compliment each other in each bite. If using the liqueurs, the slight bitterness cuts the sweet chocolate beautifully. This is simply one of the most splendid cakes I’ve ever made! And many thanks to Margaret E. for helping me out while the Guild Wars Wiki was down!
Like this? You might also enjoy the World of Warcraft – Graccu’s Mince Meat Fruitcake.
- chibinekocat likes this
- micahel-mcdoesntexist reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- micahel-mcdoesntexist likes this
- intrepidus-greatwhite likes this
- an-aerial-attack reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- amaranthined reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- miss-cuntstrued likes this
- smirkingpanda likes this
- abiohazard2all likes this
- kiratherisingphoenix reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kiratherisingphoenix likes this
- testsubject0029 likes this
- awkwardgreeny likes this
- highwaystarlight likes this
- blockmind likes this
- redforresolve reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- cistiel reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- amaranthined likes this
- reblogging-recipes reblogged this from stephanielikesyou
- stephanielikesyou reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kathycalypso likes this
- nestledown likes this
- biblebookworm1516 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- nonnymousse reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- nonnymousse likes this
- booyoupoo likes this
- bladekuroda likes this
- sapphire-gale reblogged this from butteredcharr
- luri-plays-gw2 reblogged this from bladekuroda and added:
- firstplayer likes this
- bladekuroda reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- iagonizing likes this
- acharrandhernorn reblogged this from butteredcharr
- drugs-and-pokemon likes this
- mastergiegue likes this
- butteredcharr reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- the-strawberry-menace likes this
- refsave reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kuchenkat reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- rocknrollsweethart reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- homesweethomewreckage likes this
- ravynsreferences reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- amelia-raiher likes this
- chibiko-nee reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- megbeeism reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thelittlestrawberry reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- choitoygoysoy likes this
- aapbijdethee reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lost-silent-star reblogged this from enigmaticflame
- fainting-goat-spasms likes this