Request: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Snackoos
Quiet, please… It’s snack time! Snackoos are the favourite treat of one prodigious forensic detective Ema Sky. What better way to ignore people you don’t want to talk to than appear to eat, well… er… something that looks a little like poop. (There have been far too many poop related posts lately! I apologise!) Snackoos are actually based on the traditional Japanese treat of Karinto (Karintou) which is a sweet deep-fried yeast based snack often drenched in a sugar syrup. Since “Snackoo” is a European and American localisation, I thought I should localise the recipe myself, as it seems Karinto recipes are few and far between! I hope none of you object… I’ve based mine on the traditional, but added an American twist and even coated them in chocolate, just like Ema loves.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 20 Snackoos.
What you will need: A deep pan, paper towels, a mixing bowl, greaseproof paper/baking parchment and a sieve.
110g / 1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Tablespoon High Quality Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Tablespoons Brown Soft Sugar
40ml / ⅛ Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Oil
Oil (For Frying)
100g Milk Chocolate
Making the Snackoos:
- In a mixing bowl, sieve in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar. Next add the milk, egg and oil and mix well. Allow the dough to stand for about 20 minutes in a cool place.
- Meanwhile in a deep pot, heat some oil on a medium-high heat. Have paper towels prepared and something to scoop the Snackoos out with. You can tell when the oil is ready by dropping in a test piece of dough.
- After 20 minutes, with well floured hands, roll out the Snackoos. The dough will be quite sticky, but this is normal! Keep the Snackoos quite long and thin, as they double in size when you cook them.
- When you have all your Snackoos prepared, and the oil is warm enough, drop the Snackoos in one piece at a time. Fry them for no more than about 60 seconds. They should sizzle and expand instantly in the oil and be golden after about a minute. Rotate them to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the Snackoos from the oil and drain them on paper towels until cool. Once they’re room temperature and dry they’re ready for their chocolate coating.
- In a large bowl over a small pot of boiling water, melt the chocolate. Dip the Snackoos in one and a time, covering them evenly in the chocolate. Gently shake off any excess, then place on greaseproof paper or a wire rack to solidify before eating.
Snackoos are very unusual. The taste is somewhat sweet, savoury and salted; with a contrast between the soft, fried cookie-cake and chocolate. Despite the flavour combination, I found them to be quite addictive and enjoyed many a Snackoo with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate! I used a dark chocolate (since I’m allergic to milk chocolate) and the bitterness was wonderful. A white chocolate would also make a super sweet casing, so use whichever type of chocolate you prefer! A delicious little morsel I certainly wouldn’t waste throwing at anybody.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Dark Souls - Dung Pie.
- vanelikesmuffin likes this
- saiyanpride248 reblogged this from procrastinatingattorney
- adrianandrews likes this
- lunastris likes this
- satcharee likes this
- dimension-hero-dan likes this
- nexerxv reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- pokemonbreedersandy reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- constellationdoctorcancer reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- norbeloved likes this
- beautymaiden likes this
- hatemarried reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- xiaolongbaoandbubbletea reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- f00ol reblogged this from omnomnomjapanesefood
- nozume likes this
- bluemoon-love reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lookatthiskid likes this
- asianwiththeface likes this
- smalldarkandbright reblogged this from thisisntmyrealhair
- thisisntmyrealhair reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- speedyrawr likes this
- nicko549 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sullic reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sakyathecat likes this
- karuta-senpai likes this
- drunkenpaper reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- btp-yami reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- btp-yami likes this
- shadowoftheimpendingdoom likes this
- puzzlemaster777 likes this
- keethanis likes this
- wildsnowman likes this
- new-gin-clever-title-goes-here reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- green-chan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- green-chan likes this
- ravenhawkphotography likes this
- orderinbrianscourt likes this
- askiku likes this
- cutelacute likes this
- cashtier likes this
- nokotan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- nokotan likes this
- tangelomadness likes this
- manlypandas likes this
- codepat97 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kindnessinacan reblogged this from foolish-fools
- over-the-hills-and-very-far-away reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- onehungrymoose likes this
- stormsking likes this
- thewintersoldxer reblogged this from alltheworldneedsiskris