The Elder Scrolls V: Hearthfire – Snowberry Crostata
Hearthfire, or “Sim-rim” as I like to call it, was released as DLC for The Elder Scrolls V this week. I’m not sure if while wandering the beautifully stark landscape of Skyrim one of the thoughts in your mind was “This sure is the perfect place to start a family!” (it’s not, it’s full of dragons), but build ye shall.
A Snowberry Crostata is the perfect dish for a citizen of Skyrim; Snowberries are renown for their frost and fire resisting properties, and what’s better after a day out Fus-Ro-Dah’ing or getting lost in a Dwemer ruin than a home baked treat.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 2 Snowberry Crostatas.
What you will need: Two saucepans, a sieve, a whisk, a container, a baking tray, a rolling pin, a knife, a round 7inch template and a pastry brush.
For the Crema Pasticcera:
70g / ⅓ Cup Sugar
½ Vanilla Pod (Scored)
3 Egg Yolks (Room Temperature)
30g / ¼ Cup Flour
225ml / 1 Cup Whole Milk (Two Halves)
For the Snowberry Crostata:
350g / 12 oz. Shortcrust Pastry – Recipe
200g / 1 Cup Berries/Fruits
- Cherries (Pitted)
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
50g / ¼ Cup Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
Preparing the Crema Pasticcera:
- Warm half a cup/110ml of milk with the vanilla pod on a low heat and in a good saucepan. Allow it to slowly just come to the boil. Keep an eye on this, do not let it boil over or burn! Once your milk is bubbling, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until a creamy paste is formed. Sieve in the flour and add the other half cup of milk. Whisk together again until well combined.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the cooled milk, then add the egg mixture. Return the saucepan onto a very low heat, and whisk continually as it warms through.
- After several minutes, the custard will begin to thicken. Once the crema pasticcera has reached a good consistency, immediately pour it into a container and place in the fridge to cool completely.
Preparing the Snowberry Filling:
- In a saucepan warm the redcurrants, blackcurrants and cherries (or whatever berries or fruits you like) with the orange juice and sugar on a medium heat until they soften.
- Once the berries have simmered for a few minutes and start to resemble a jam, remove them from the heat and set aside to cool. Feel free to keep some fresh berries or fruits aside to use as a garnish.
Making the Crostata:
- Prepare and line a flat baking tray with greaseproof paper/baking parchment and preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface to about 3cm thick. Cut a round of dough 7 inches in diameter and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the chilled crema into the middle of the pastry, spread it around but leave a border of pastry about an inch around it. Wash a little beaten egg on the pastry around the crema.
- Next, carefully fold over the pastry edges around the crema, keeping the folds neat and flat. Cover the pastry with a wash of beaten egg.
- Pile 2 tablespoons of the fruit compote on top of the crostata, and allow it to just about cover the folded edges. Sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top, then place in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
Crostatas are a type of traditional Italian pie. What’s an Italian inspired pie doing in a Nordic set game, you ask? Maybe some rogue Kajiit or Dunmer merchant smuggled it in from a neighbouring province… Who knows! But it sure is tasty. It’s simple and rustic, with a great balance between the sweet vanilla crema and tart fruits. I was initially going to only use redcurrants or cranberries for the crostata, but decided they were slightly too sour. You could use any berry or fruit you like, but I decided to try and emulate the flavour I felt snowberries would have by creating a mixture.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Sweet Roll.
- micahel-mcdoesntexist reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- micahel-mcdoesntexist likes this
- thomasbradley250 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- chibinekocat likes this
- freerobotfrost reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- yasuhirohagakure likes this
- derselord reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- luna-the-neko-511 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- okabees likes this
- vincentvillella likes this
- wizzer10 likes this
- arianwen44 likes this
- friendofsmeagol reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- spicedbubblegum likes this
- melkypellows reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- flylikeamouse likes this
- reiquaza reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- xxxlivingvirusxxx likes this
- chrsadms likes this
- spectrumfizz likes this
- drmaxwell likes this
- srahberry likes this
- spaceelf likes this
- dannegatiobellona likes this
- astrosrecipes reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- homesweethomewreckage likes this
- ravynsreferences reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- coconuttygrey likes this
- sakoyo likes this
- whirrring likes this
- nikabreeker likes this
- whalepunk reblogged this from mijumaruuuu
- dantes-disco-inferno likes this
- mijumaruuuu reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- choitoygoysoy likes this
- inkslingerducky likes this
- adrawrable reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- rosannapbrost likes this
- pyxisnautica likes this
- jadelicat likes this
- g-isabellae reblogged this from culinarygriffin
- aryunas-place likes this
- tubasquid likes this
- mylovelybrighteyes likes this
- cuddlygamer likes this
- combustiblefairycake reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sweetlysheep likes this
- g-isabellae likes this
- canadianwherewithal likes this
- culinarygriffin reblogged this from gourmetgaming