Dark Souls – Dung Pie
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition was released last week for PC, so I thought I should share a dish from one of my favourite games of all time by making some Dung Pies. Now, some of you may complain that Dung Pies aren’t technically a food in Dark Souls, and I’d tell you that you are wrong! Dung Pies are actually Kingseeker Frampt’s favourite food. And Kingseeker Frampt is my favourite. You can purchase Dung Pies from the Female Undead Merchant in the sewer (or risk a battle with a sluggish, yet terrifying, Dung Giant) and they are one of the best ways to bank your precious souls. These decadent chocolate Dung Pies are certainly worth the toxic poisoning!
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 14 Dung Pies.
What you will need: A baking tray, greaseproof paper/baking parchment, a large bowl and a sieve.
225g / 1 Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
280g / 1¼ Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
65g / ½ Cup Cocoa Powder (High Quality)
250g / 2 Cups Flour
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¾ Teaspoon Baking Powder
100g / 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
50g / ½ Cup Pecans or Walnuts (Chopped)
Making the Dung Pies:
- Prepare the baking tray by lining it with baking/greaseproof paper and ensure you have room in your freezer.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together for several minutes until pale and fluffy in a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix until will combined.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder and stir. Gradually sieve in the flour, salt and baking powder. Finally, add the chocolate chips and nuts and mix well.
- The dough will seem very sticky, but this is normal. With lightly floured hands, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and create a rough ball. Take another tablespoons of dough and shape it on top of the other piece. This will form your rough “dung” shape.
- Place the prepared dungs onto the baking tray and place in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until quite firm, but not frozen! Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Once the dungs are chilled, remove them from the freezer and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. They should appear cooked outside, but very soft inside.
- Leave the dung pies to cool slightly, then remove from the baking tray and allow to cool completely before serving.
The Dung Pie is a complicated treat to describe. I would probably call them as a kind of cookie-brownie hybrid; crunchy on the outside, soft, dense and chewy on the middle. The crucial step in making a dung pie is the freezing of the dough, which prevents the cookie from spreading while cooking, and keeps it relatively uncooked on the inside. Maybe the secret of the Dung Pie is what they’re protecting in Blighttown…
Like this? You might also enjoy the Legend of Grimrock - Blueberry Pie.
- break-town reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- agentleforest likes this
- neryzza likes this
- brotoman likes this
- deletedcalibrations likes this
- blobertson reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- humblbumblesoul likes this
- plutosan likes this
- mola-molaa reblogged this from tanaquil
- the-true-pokemon-master reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- reptar21 likes this
- hyood likes this
- alanriggs likes this
- stupid-sexy-dwarves likes this
- recipesinmovies reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- happisammi likes this
- phantomb13 likes this
- btp-yami likes this
- wandawillkill312 likes this
- tanaquil reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- fivefindeathkoi likes this
- green-chan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- green-chan likes this
- thatslatebluewolf reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thatslatebluewolf likes this
- bloodytearsandendlessfears reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bloodytearsandendlessfears likes this
- deductiblybonkers likes this
- marshmallowservant likes this
- proto-zer0 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- nonveganzombie likes this
- legolas-the-house-elf likes this
- horrorchick reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- horrorchick likes this
- fluffystrawberrymochi likes this
- would-you-kindry likes this
- that-one-corpus-researcher likes this
- themaidenofshadownakara reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- ivorykitten likes this
- admiralqwibqwib likes this
- noncutiebooty likes this
- megrefs reblogged this from megthemaggot
- mousethelion likes this
- felinekos likes this
- gwinny3k likes this
- royal-ten-in-bomb likes this
- mask-the-geokin reblogged this from nintendo-64
- nintendo-64 reblogged this from i-bonesnapper
- i-bonesnapper likes this