Dark Souls – Dung Pie
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition was released last week for PC, so I thought I should share a dish from one of my favourite games of all time by making some Dung Pies. Now, some of you may complain that Dung Pies aren’t technically a food in Dark Souls, and I’d tell you that you are wrong! Dung Pies are actually Kingseeker Frampt’s favourite food. And Kingseeker Frampt is my favourite. You can purchase Dung Pies from the Female Undead Merchant in the sewer (or risk a battle with a sluggish, yet terrifying, Dung Giant) and they are one of the best ways to bank your precious souls. These decadent chocolate Dung Pies are certainly worth the toxic poisoning!
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 14 Dung Pies.
What you will need: A baking tray, greaseproof paper/baking parchment, a large bowl and a sieve.
225g / 1 Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
280g / 1¼ Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
65g / ½ Cup Cocoa Powder (High Quality)
250g / 2 Cups Flour
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¾ Teaspoon Baking Powder
100g / 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
50g / ½ Cup Pecans or Walnuts (Chopped)
Making the Dung Pies:
- Prepare the baking tray by lining it with baking/greaseproof paper and ensure you have room in your freezer.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together for several minutes until pale and fluffy in a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix until will combined.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder and stir. Gradually sieve in the flour, salt and baking powder. Finally, add the chocolate chips and nuts and mix well.
- The dough will seem very sticky, but this is normal. With lightly floured hands, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and create a rough ball. Take another tablespoons of dough and shape it on top of the other piece. This will form your rough “dung” shape.
- Place the prepared dungs onto the baking tray and place in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until quite firm, but not frozen! Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Once the dungs are chilled, remove them from the freezer and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. They should appear cooked outside, but very soft inside.
- Leave the dung pies to cool slightly, then remove from the baking tray and allow to cool completely before serving.
The Dung Pie is a complicated treat to describe. I would probably call them as a kind of cookie-brownie hybrid; crunchy on the outside, soft, dense and chewy on the middle. The crucial step in making a dung pie is the freezing of the dough, which prevents the cookie from spreading while cooking, and keeps it relatively uncooked on the inside. Maybe the secret of the Dung Pie is what they’re protecting in Blighttown…
Like this? You might also enjoy the Legend of Grimrock - Blueberry Pie.
- binnonic likes this
- kathycalypso likes this
- asassypikachu likes this
- constantvexation likes this
- milkti reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- milkti likes this
- spaceelf likes this
- ravynsreferences reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- choitoygoysoy likes this
- flakey reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- wakatardiswaka reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- volatilevolpe reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- volatilevolpe likes this
- baldraven likes this
- cutie-moonie reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- sunandsilks reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- princeofsteelthorns reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sardonicsomniac likes this
- the-ota-king likes this
- fluffybuttsmainsqueeze likes this
- jojje94 reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- jojje94 likes this
- mikejames92 likes this
- nymphelina reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- daughterofwinterhell reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- ispybluesky reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- hexaneapples likes this
- jimcashfan reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- screamingforyourpain likes this
- erillebe likes this
- deliquin reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- photinus likes this
- animpossibilitythathasitsuses reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- deigeridoo likes this
- heroparker reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- heroparker likes this
- whitecrowz likes this
- keimochi likes this
- yellowisfuckingkawaii likes this
- foodstuffsandhowtos reblogged this from jakethebootypirate
- jakethebootypirate reblogged this from daemon-the-red-demon
- spiceykut-ku reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- boundlessoul reblogged this from addicted-to-darkness
- addicted-to-darkness reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- addicted-to-darkness likes this
- laurenlecuyer60 likes this
- iheartfunstuff likes this
- jaqdvp1 likes this
- rockmantrigger likes this
- lchiharas reblogged this from gourmetgaming