Final Fantasy XI - Moogle Pie
I was shocked and appalled when I realised a food from Final Fantasy hadn’t been done yet. What the hell kind of gaming blog is this?! Inspired by our friends over at The Drunken Moogle, I thought what better way to pay tribute to such an epic and celebrated series than a fresh Moogle Pie! But don’t worry, these pies aren’t made from Moogles, but by Moogles. Though I can imagine a drunken one may be in charge of the pastry department, which explains why a Moogle Pie must be a little burnt to be truly authentic.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 2 Moogle Pies.
What you will need: Greaseproof paper/baking parchment, a large baking tray, a vegetable peeler, a large pan, a knife, and a pastry brush.
400g / 5 Cups Cooking Apples (4 Large apples approx.)
25g / ⅛ Cup Butter
25ml / ⅛ Cup Water
50g / ¼ Cup Caster/Super Fine Sugar
½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Raisins
4 Tablespoons Apple/Orange Juice
Small Handful Breadcrumbs
320g / 11oz Ready-to-Roll Puff Pastry
1 Small Egg (Beaten)
Preparing the Moogle Pie:
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on your puff pastry. Usually about 200C/390F. Prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper/baking parchment. Soak the raisins in the apple/orange juice.
- Peel and cor the apples, then chop them into small chunks. Keep them in a large bowl of cool water to stop them from browning.
- In a large pan on a medium heat, warm the butter until melted then add the apples, sugar and water. Cook the apples for about 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the raisins and the juice, cinnamon and breadcrumbs. Mix until well combined.
Making the Moogle Pie:
- Unroll your puff pastry and cut it in half. Take one half of the sheet and lay it on the prepared baking tray; for ease, make one Moogle Pie at a time.
- Add a few tablespoons of the apple filling to the middle of the pastry. Shape it into an even, long rectangle and make sure to leave about an inch of pastry and the top and bottom. Be careful not to over fill it.
- Take the beaten egg and with the pastry brush, brush an outline of the beaten egg on the pastry around the apple filling; this will help the pastry to seal.
- For the next step you can use a lattice pastry cutter to create a top layer of pastry if you have one, but if you don’t, use the plaiting/braiding method below.
- Cut into the pastry on the long sides; create an equal number of strips of pastry on both sides. Finally, make a square flap at the bottom and top. Please see THIS illustration for help – it can be a little tricky!
- Carefully tuck the bottom and top flaps over the apple filling. Begin to plait/braid the strips of pastry over the filling. Do this by alternating the strips of pastry over each other as you move down.
- Lightly brush a little more beaten egg over the finished pastry, then pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Once it’s nicely golden, and maybe even a little burnt, remove it from the oven.
- Allow it to cool before serving. Moogle Pie is delicious on its own, or with some custard, cream or ice-cream.
Luckily, I had my mom on hand (who I now suspect may be part Moogle herself due to her pastry plaiting skills) because this pie can be a little difficult to make look just right, but it’s most definitely worth it! The combination of a strudel and pie recipe was ideal, and although a Moogle Pie is traditionally apple, you could use the recipe above to also make peach, apricot or berry pies too. Just don’t forget your magic spell, and your Moogle Pie will always be delicious.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Fable II – Amazing Apple Pie.
- geekgirlbrunch reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- longsword97-berylimagination reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- noobcake likes this
- nebunesc reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- elyison reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- theotherbriana likes this
- wingedpikmin likes this
- consultingdoctorsassbutt likes this
- happyshaddow94 likes this
- tuxedovilay reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- merveilleuxfood likes this
- shaythefairyqueen likes this
- mauradrawsall likes this
- peachkind likes this
- talesofthegoldenpro reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- -apocalyptice likes this
- meatpies reblogged this from leahkitty
- meatpies likes this
- leahkitty reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- fallenwithstars reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- shukijenkins likes this
- shukijenkins reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x likes this
- iamdoctorsatan likes this
- yourevilangel reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- yourevilangel likes this
- mojitomehshh likes this
- le-viking likes this
- multibunnii likes this
- randomminecrafterposts likes this
- comealongamypond22 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lesbians-for-you likes this
- xne0621 likes this
- great-shadowed-one likes this
- masterphreak likes this
- feelings-suck-pretty-bad reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- feelings-suck-pretty-bad likes this
- pickaplum likes this
- krissyyteenaahh reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- krissyyteenaahh likes this
- threeslipsofpaper likes this
- penandapincushion reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- dagger-kitsune likes this
- thejackknife reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thejackknife likes this
- dappled-seaborne-clouds likes this
- jillyno likes this
- imaginemusicalcoloursofthewind reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- flutey13 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bladeosiris likes this