Yoshi’s Cookie – Yoshi Cookies
I first encountered Yoshi’s Cookies on Game and Watch Gallery 3 which I had for my Gameboy Color. The updated, ‘modern’, version of “Egg” on the cartridge involved Yoshi eating some Yoshi Cookies as prepared by Chef Mario. I never did get along very well with the Game and Watch Gallery, it was all about personal bests and high scores, and, as a renowned confident loser of the world, I was always uninterested in competing with myself. One thing I did want to do was eat those cookies though. I had dreams about those cookies against a haunting rendition of that ever panic-inducing music.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 20 cookies.
What you will need: A large bowl, a wooden spoon, a rolling pin, cookie cutters: a flower, a diamond, a heart, a large and a small circle, and a square, a baking tray, and greaseproof/baking paper.
250g / 1¼ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
140g / ⅔ Cup Caster/Super Fine Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
1½ Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
300g / 1¼ Cup Plain Flour
½ Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Making the Cookie Dough:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F, and prepare a flat baking tray by lining it with greaseproof/baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together to butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until well combined. Next add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix again. Sieve in the flour, and gently stir until a dough begins to form.
- The dough may seem quite sticky and loose, if it’s too soft – place it in the fridge for around 30 minutes to firm it.
- On a well floured surface and with floured hands, form the dough into a neat ball. Divide the dough evenly into six portions. Put four aside, as these will remain vanilla.
- Take the left over two balls of dough; add cinnamon powder to one and kneed gently until combined. Add cocoa powder to the other and again, kneed until combined. You will now have four vanilla, one cinnamon and one chocolate dough.
Making the Yoshi Cookies:
Tips: Prepare one type of cookie at a time. With a well floured surface and rolling pin, roll out each portion to about ¼ inch thick, then cut out the desired shapes with the cookie cutters. Place the cookies on the prepared baking tray.
- Start with three of the vanilla portions – these will be cut into the flower, the diamond and the heart shapes.
- Next, take the cinnamon portion – cut out a large circle, and then a smaller circle from the middle.
- You should have one chocolate and one vanilla portion left – these will become the checker-board cookie.
- You can make the checker-board cookie a few ways. One way is by making a patterned block with 4 rectangular cuboids ‘glued’ together on the joins with egg white. Then slice the block to form the cookies.
- If that sounds too tricky, try cutting out thin, small squares of dough and laying them on top of a square cookie to make the pattern – whatever you find easier.
- With your cookies prepared and placed on the baking try, bake them in the oven for around 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Garnishing the Yoshi Cookies:
- Take your jams/jellys and melt 2 tablespoons of each for about 10-20 seconds to make them a smoother, looser texture.
- The diamond gets a green garnish, the flowers get a purple and the hearts get a red.
- Taking a ¼ teaspoon of the appropriate colour, drop it in the middle of the cookie and carefully create an even shape for the centre.
- For the cinnamon cookie, mix some icing sugar and a little water to make a paste. Brush it over the top of the cookie, then sprinkle with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
In Game and Watch Gallery 3 “Egg”, Yoshi saves the cookies from burning by eating them. This is the kind of tactic I like to employ while baking, I can respect Yoshi for this - he’s my kind of person. Delightfully buttery, these cookies are paired perfectly with their tart jammy centres, so it’s totally understandable why the Yoshis are such big fans. As for the Yoshi cookie, I think it might deserve a post of its own…
Like this? You might also enjoy the Pokémon – Lava Cookies.
- hannahbeelol likes this
- tudoistoepravoce likes this
- teatimepearls reblogged this from fyeahfoodrecipes
- naytin likes this
- fyeahfoodrecipes reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- christina-182 likes this
- star-cruiser likes this
- k4rmeh reblogged this from princesstwinklefuck
- princesstwinklefuck reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- my-aim-is-true likes this
- alizardnamedtopaz reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- backtracingcyberpolice reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- never-under-dressed likes this
- thejackknife reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thejackknife likes this
- kotarawr reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- brunwearsprada likes this
- jewelschan likes this
- localhistorygirl reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- keep-on-grief reblogged this from goodjokemom
- keep-on-grief likes this
- recipes242 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- pixel-kitty likes this
- puccafangirl reblogged this from yoshi66666666
- e6788 likes this
- pure-laziness reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- atlaschmur likes this
- westcoastrain likes this
- xjoceyx likes this
- vickycaffaposts reblogged this from weaponmistress
- vickycaffaposts likes this
- bloodstainedquills likes this
- weaponmistress reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- grizzmofokkr likes this
- yeagatsu128 likes this
- currageously likes this
- daciaab likes this
- fuck-and-other-compositions likes this
- the-back-room likes this
- xosugarstars likes this
- japan-o-phile reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- robotokid reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- inetgate reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- queenofnedcan reblogged this from bleistiftkuenstlerin
- bleistiftkuenstlerin reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bojacloud reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lesbianpikachu likes this
- jeebuscrisp likes this