Yoshi’s Cookie – Yoshi Cookies
I first encountered Yoshi’s Cookies on Game and Watch Gallery 3 which I had for my Gameboy Color. The updated, ‘modern’, version of “Egg” on the cartridge involved Yoshi eating some Yoshi Cookies as prepared by Chef Mario. I never did get along very well with the Game and Watch Gallery, it was all about personal bests and high scores, and, as a renowned confident loser of the world, I was always uninterested in competing with myself. One thing I did want to do was eat those cookies though. I had dreams about those cookies against a haunting rendition of that ever panic-inducing music.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 20 cookies.
What you will need: A large bowl, a wooden spoon, a rolling pin, cookie cutters: a flower, a diamond, a heart, a large and a small circle, and a square, a baking tray, and greaseproof/baking paper.
250g / 1¼ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
140g / ⅔ Cup Caster/Super Fine Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
1½ Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
300g / 1¼ Cup Plain Flour
½ Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Making the Cookie Dough:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F, and prepare a flat baking tray by lining it with greaseproof/baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together to butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until well combined. Next add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix again. Sieve in the flour, and gently stir until a dough begins to form.
- The dough may seem quite sticky and loose, if it’s too soft – place it in the fridge for around 30 minutes to firm it.
- On a well floured surface and with floured hands, form the dough into a neat ball. Divide the dough evenly into six portions. Put four aside, as these will remain vanilla.
- Take the left over two balls of dough; add cinnamon powder to one and kneed gently until combined. Add cocoa powder to the other and again, kneed until combined. You will now have four vanilla, one cinnamon and one chocolate dough.
Making the Yoshi Cookies:
Tips: Prepare one type of cookie at a time. With a well floured surface and rolling pin, roll out each portion to about ¼ inch thick, then cut out the desired shapes with the cookie cutters. Place the cookies on the prepared baking tray.
- Start with three of the vanilla portions – these will be cut into the flower, the diamond and the heart shapes.
- Next, take the cinnamon portion – cut out a large circle, and then a smaller circle from the middle.
- You should have one chocolate and one vanilla portion left – these will become the checker-board cookie.
- You can make the checker-board cookie a few ways. One way is by making a patterned block with 4 rectangular cuboids ‘glued’ together on the joins with egg white. Then slice the block to form the cookies.
- If that sounds too tricky, try cutting out thin, small squares of dough and laying them on top of a square cookie to make the pattern – whatever you find easier.
- With your cookies prepared and placed on the baking try, bake them in the oven for around 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Garnishing the Yoshi Cookies:
- Take your jams/jellys and melt 2 tablespoons of each for about 10-20 seconds to make them a smoother, looser texture.
- The diamond gets a green garnish, the flowers get a purple and the hearts get a red.
- Taking a ¼ teaspoon of the appropriate colour, drop it in the middle of the cookie and carefully create an even shape for the centre.
- For the cinnamon cookie, mix some icing sugar and a little water to make a paste. Brush it over the top of the cookie, then sprinkle with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
In Game and Watch Gallery 3 “Egg”, Yoshi saves the cookies from burning by eating them. This is the kind of tactic I like to employ while baking, I can respect Yoshi for this - he’s my kind of person. Delightfully buttery, these cookies are paired perfectly with their tart jammy centres, so it’s totally understandable why the Yoshis are such big fans. As for the Yoshi cookie, I think it might deserve a post of its own…
Like this? You might also enjoy the Pokémon – Lava Cookies.
- kangagoo reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- nxrds reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- olxmpics likes this
- marshmallowservant likes this
- theemeraldterror likes this
- lumanie reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- heroesofcrash likes this
- nvzfoodref reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- chiccolo3 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- beccawoof likes this
- drawitenne likes this
- pfeffernusse reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- gemduelistjohan likes this
- bredfrown likes this
- necro-joker likes this
- ka0oru reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- ka0oru likes this
- thebigdeepcheatsy likes this
- foodkking likes this
- wanpotato reblogged this from ladyinverse
- probosowa likes this
- gamcgas likes this
- i-bonesnapper reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bubbly-breeding-blog reblogged this from ladyinverse
- utahoshi likes this
- marvcook likes this
- artificial-eclipse likes this
- markysheap likes this
- carlavionette likes this
- ivorykitten likes this
- elgie-food-likes reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- moonstruckmusings likes this
- emuchin likes this
- noncutiebooty reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- noncutiebooty likes this
- witch-of-mind likes this
- spazerco likes this
- s1nz reblogged this from sixballjones
- s1nz likes this
- shadow-siren-vivian reblogged this from dire-dire-docks
- shadow-siren-vivian likes this
- kosukameguca reblogged this from akiraita
- akiraita reblogged this from yuki-oto
- shadowoftheabyss reblogged this from foolishcaptainkia
- shytenda reblogged this from heatcrashemboar
- shytenda likes this
- literally-a-url reblogged this from dire-dire-docks
- literally-a-url likes this
- strickland-propane-offical reblogged this from stickolas