Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny: Chocolate Sample
To celebrate of a whole year of Gourmet Gaming this week, I thought I’d feature a recipe from my favourite game, Shadow of Memories.
You can grab this easily missed ‘Chocolate Sample’ in chapter 3 from Marie’s Bakery during 2001, but it isn’t an essential item to Eike Kusch’s ultimate survival. As the description hints, you can give it to any female character in the game and sweeten her mood. I personally like to give it to Margarette who, living in 1580, has never tasted chocolate before, and seems incredibly delighted by it. I can’t really imagine what it must be like to taste chocolate for the first time… Almost like telling a girl who has a crush on you that she might be your ancestor; devastating but delicious. Set in the fictional German town of “Lebensbaum”, I thought the oft mistaken for actually being German, classic ‘German chocolate cake’, would be a good place to draw inspiration for this decadent, yet currently unnamed, chocolate sample.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe makes 12-15 Chocolate Samples.
What you will need: Yellow cupcake cases, a baking tray, 3 large bowls, 1 small bowl, a small pot, a sieve, an icing bag/syringe and a whisk.
For the Chocolate Samples:
60g / ½ Cup High Quality Dark Chocolate
60ml / ¼ Cup Fresh Hot Coffee/Water
115g / 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
140g / ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Separated) (Room Temperature)
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
110g / 1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
½ Teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda/Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
125ml / ½ Cup Whole Milk
For the Ganache:
85g / ¾ Cup High Quality Chocolate
65ml / ¼ Cup Double/Heavy Cream
For the Frosting:
90g / ¾ Cup Butter
280g / 2¾ Cup Icing/Confectioners Sugar
40g /⅓ Cup Cocoa Powder
4 Tablespoons Whole Milk
For the Garnish:
30g / ¼ Cup Sweetened Desiccated Coconut
30g / ¼ Cup Pecans (Chopped)
Preparing the Chocolate Sample:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Place the cupcake cases on a baking tray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the sugar and butter together until pale. Add the 2 egg yolks and the vanilla and beat for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, pour the hot coffee/water over the chocolate and stir until melted. Pour the melted chocolate into the large bowl over the butter, sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Gradually sieve in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, stirring gently. Finally, add the milk and mix gently once again.
- In a clean, dry bowl, whisk up the two left over egg whites until puffy. You should be able to hold the bowl over your head and the egg whites wont fall out! Fold the egg whites into the cake batter a spoon at a time, being careful not to knock any of the air out.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake casing, filling each 2/3 full. Place the tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once firm, but springy, remove the cupcakes from the oven to cool completely.
Making the Frosting:
- In a large bowl add the butter and beat it until it’s pale. Gradually sieve in the icing sugar and cocoa powder, beating vigorously and adding a tablespoon of milk in between.
- Once well combined and fluffy, place in the fridge for later.
Preparing the Garnish:
- In a clean, dry pan, add the sweetened desiccated coconut and chopped pecans. Toast them gently on a medium high heat until just turning golden, then remove and set aside.
Making the Chocolate Ganache:
- Chop the chocolate up finely and place in a large bowl. Meanwhile, in a pot, bring the cream to the boiling point on a medium heat.
- Once bubbling, pour the hot cream over the chocolate and mix well until melted and combined. Set the mixture aside to cool to room temperature.
Making the Chocolate Samples:
- Spoon a little of the chocolate ganache on top of each cupcake. Make sure it covers the entire cupcake and creates a smooth, even surface. You can place the cupcakes in the fridge to help them set.
- Once the ganache is firm, fill your icing bag/syringe with the chocolate frosting and pipe a medium swirl from the centre. Sprinkle over the toasted coconut and pecan, then top with a whole pecan. Give them away as free samples, or eat them all yourself. Like me.
Got cake. Ate cake. Now require one digipad to go back in time to when I still had cake so I can eat it all over again. If that was my purgatory, things wouldn’t be so bad, like some kind of chocolate Sisyphus. People who say things are “too sweet” or “too rich” or “too chocolately” don’t know what they’re talking about. There’s no such thing as any of the above, but if there were, it might apply to these incredible samples. I’ve yet to eat any chocolate cupcake quite like these, or play another game quite Shadow of Memories.
Like this? You might also enjoy the EarthBound – Peanut Cheese Bars.
- wishingtobewolf likes this
- happyshaddow94 likes this
- sixelamarr reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sixelamarr likes this
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x likes this
- willkillforexp likes this
- sixthbaron likes this
- lesbians-for-you likes this
- sarahlils likes this
- star-cruiser likes this
- mortatimero likes this
- miasmalice likes this
- d-structman reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- achievementcreaturesyo likes this
- arianablake likes this
- kind-and-cheerful-emeralds likes this
- theinquisitivefox reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- corvbot likes this
- exploring-in-space reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- inokoo reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sexysalomonandthecurtainchild reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- 32098402590902 likes this
- eveesteevees likes this
- humblbumblesoul likes this
- btp-yami likes this
- nonveganzombie likes this
- jennaroses likes this
- theskytree likes this
- haudankaivaja reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- beccawoof likes this
- ozymandira likes this
- ivorykitten likes this
- hanabeta likes this
- resident-seavil reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- pandaxcrepes reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- samueldcp likes this
- uses-both-hands likes this
- ichiigosan likes this
- goldmine-owl likes this
- ancianocianoficeo likes this
- morbidexperiment likes this
- itsnotsarang likes this
- un-sentimiento-llamado-no-se likes this
- aya239 likes this
- spitlips likes this
- dapperdoggy likes this
- christeiey likes this
- apriltaurus reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thebravepancake reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thomasbradley250 reblogged this from gourmetgaming