Legend of Grimrock – Blueberry Pie
Last weekend my significant other came to bed around 4AM, so I naturally asked where he’d been. Many suspicious girlfriends would think of the obvious; another woman or a secret shame, like eating flowers in the bathroom, but I knew better.
It turned out he’d discovered this amazing game called Legend of Grimrock; a seriously awesome old school dungeon crawler as a stunning modern incarnation. I fell in love with the game instantly; it was so mysterious and beautifully designed, and when I saw there was food I got pretty excited. I eventually discovered there’s a rather infamous blueberry pie hidden in the darkness. A kind of symbol of hope… delicious, delicious hope.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 6-8.
What you will need: A 9-inch loose base sandwich tin, a large baking tray, a sieve, a wooden spoon or hand mixer, a rolling pin and two large mixing bowls.
For the Pastry:
350g / 2⅓Cups Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
225g / 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Chilled)
60ml / ¼ Cup Cold Water
For the Filling:
100g / ½ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
100g /⅔Cup Icing/Confectioners Sugar
100g / 1 Cup Ground Almonds
4 Teaspoons Cornflour/Cornstarch
1 Large Egg (Room Temperature)
1 Large Egg Yolk (Room Temperature)
1½ Teaspoons Pure Almond Extract
½ Teaspoon Lemon Zest
3 Tablespoons Blueberry Preserve
200g / 2 Cups Fresh Blueberries
Making the Shortcrust Pastry:
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour, salt and sugar. Next add the butter. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your finger tips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time, mixing in between until the dough comes together. Once the dough forms into a ball, wrap it in cling film/saran wrap and place in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
- Sieve some icing/confectioners sugar onto a clean, dry surface and roll the dough out until it’s about a quarter of an inch thick. Lift the pastry into the sandwich tin and pat it in to fill the tin evenly.
- Trim off any excess pastry then put the tin in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled, preheat the oven to 220C/420F with a large baking tray inside.
- Put the pie in the oven on top of the heated baking tray to blind-bake the crust. You may want to use some baking beans to help keep the pastry for shrinking while it cooks.
- Cook the pastry for about 10-15 minutes until the edges appear slightly darker and are firm. Once baked, take out the pie and leave it to cool completely before adding any filling.
Making the Blueberry Pie:
- In a large bowl, sieve in the sugar, almonds and cornstarch. Next add the butter, egg, yolk, lemon zest and almond extract. Mix well until thoroughly combined into a kind of thick batter. Leave the mixture in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
- With your pastry cooled, spoon in the blueberry preserve and use the back of the spoon to smooth it out over the base to create a thin layer of jam.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Once the almond mixture is chilled, pour it into the pastry and smooth it out until it’s even. Take your blueberries and pop them into the almond filling until the entire surface of the pie is covered.
- Put the pie in the oven for 20-30 minutes. When the pie is firm, golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean – it’s ready! Take it out of the oven and leave to cool completely before serving.
Firstly, a huge thank you to Almost Human Games who replied to my email inquiring about Grimrock cuisine so promptly, and to Ben R for the beautiful comparison screenshots. It’s taken me about an hour to write this post, and in that time I’ve managed to eat about half the pie to myself. In making the pie, I didn’t want to overcook the frangipane filling, I wanted it to mix with the blueberries to create a creamy blueberry filling and it is… outstanding. I must have a seemingly bottomless pit for a stomach just like Mork, or even Grimrock it’s self.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Fable II – Amazing Apple Pie.
- chibinekocat likes this
- nazgolden likes this
- pizzacop reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- wizzer10 likes this
- innercheeseburger likes this
- chinkysoul likes this
- spicedbubblegum likes this
- melkypellows reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- booyoupoo likes this
- spaceelf likes this
- spellcatty likes this
- tubasquid likes this
- theroughsketch likes this
- fluffybuttsmainsqueeze likes this
- huge-mistakes likes this
- g-isabellae likes this
- canadianwherewithal reblogged this from culinarygriffin
- culinarygriffin reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- erythrocentric likes this
- hexington likes this
- mrsxsoftee likes this
- latulasradcatchbro likes this
- zeecaptein reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- littlemissapocalypsedreamer likes this
- kevin-555 likes this
- terraprime reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- beiconrosa reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- wingsandall likes this
- hungrygoldfish likes this
- anthropologylove likes this
- zet-su-bou likes this
- lolayuki likes this
- karcakes likes this
- thistlepixels reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- strawberry-seal likes this
- syrupyjustice likes this
- syrupyjustice reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- justin-with-a-y likes this
- ohmeursault likes this
- superindianslug reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- selenamairee reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- danichai likes this
- gobii likes this
- gremlinyomi reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kellybeaston reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- aida-gold reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- gaiabetheablog likes this
- loyalsins likes this
- hotter-in-enochian likes this
- notgeist reblogged this from knochensoldaten