Christmas Special Main: Streets of Rage - Roast Poultry
For the main of the Gourmet Gaming Christmas meal it’s obvious that I had to go with some kind of roast bird and I’ve had many requests for the chicken/turkey (nowhere seems to be able to decide which it is) from Streets of Rage. I grew up with Streets of Rage on my Sega Mega Drive and I would regularly play it with my childhood best friend. We were never able to complete it and it seemed I was to be eternally bested by the penultimate level… Until this year when I purchased the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection on Xbox 360 (in case you were wondering both myself and my co-op partner both said “No!” like the goody-two-shoes we are). I originally wanted to make this recipe with turkey so it would be more festive but sadly at the time they weren’t readily available in the stores, however this recipe works very well for either fowl.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 3-4.
What you will need: Large roasting tray and a wooden skewer.
1 Small Chicken/Turkey
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Lemon or Orange
Handful of Fresh Parsley
5 Garlic Cloves
2 Celery Sticks
1 Large Onion
2 Bay Leafs
Salt & Pepper
Preparing the Roast:
- Preheat the oven on its maximum temperature. Chop the carrots, celery and onion roughly and line the bottom of the roasting tray with them.
- Place the bird on top – if it’s legs are tied down, untie them and push them up into the air. Slide the wooden skewer through the flesh on the back of the legs, through the body and out the legs on the other side to help support them and keep them upright.
- With a sharp knife, slice a few holes into the lemon then pop it in cavity along with a few cloves of garlic, the parsley and two bay leafs. Make sure you don’t over stuff and that there’s still room otherwise the bird wont cook evenly!
- Rub butter over the skin, season with salt & pepper then pour over a little olive oil.
- Place the bird in the oven then turn the temperature down immediately to 200C/400F and cook as per the time-to-weight instructions of your bird.
- After 90 minutes, begin basting the bird every 20 minutes until it’s finished cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, serve with your favourite roast vegetables.
I decided to keep the chicken quite simple so it would reflect the in-game bird which, actually, looks more like a chocolate bird than anything else. I couldn’t eat the chicken, but I was assured it was moist and delicious. Next time I might try calling for back-up and use the flames from a tirade of air-to-ground missiles to cook my Christmas dinner.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Sonic The Hedgehog - Chili Dog A La Sonic.
- marshmallowservant likes this
- roadwalker11 likes this
- ivorykitten likes this
- sailorlumina likes this
- bookish-took likes this
- saitemthewriter likes this
- a2thajay reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- chloekinz4 likes this
- skubtastic reblogged this from gear-head-aniki
- skubtastic likes this
- windy8oy likes this
- gear-head-aniki reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- gear-head-aniki likes this
- tgthomas12 likes this
- starcrossedgemini reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- starcrossedgemini likes this
- chibinekocat likes this
- ravynsreferences reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kawaiidesuyolo reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- jadelicat likes this
- daughterofwinterhell reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- marilyns-zombie likes this
- noeffortputforth likes this
- hel-daughter-of-loki likes this
- apostates reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- can-i-have-superpowers reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- dimi3infinity likes this
- daemon-the-red-demon reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- daemon-the-red-demon likes this
- saekawaii reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- rainbowrobotroses likes this
- festivelights reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- apostateprostitutes likes this
- gamerspirit likes this
- thegossipgamer reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- granfleur reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- granfleur likes this
- jddascencioi likes this
- hamburgerjack reblogged this from countessnoir
- hamburgerjack likes this
- countessnoir reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- dontcallmesuzie likes this
- gold-roger likes this
- leupstripes likes this
- shadamy22 likes this
- mrrundown likes this
- rezllen likes this
- superherodraw likes this
- kyle9000 reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- kyle9000 likes this