Christmas Special Drink & Nibbles: Skyrim – Black-Briar Mead, Grilled Leeks & Elsweyr Fondue
Everyone knows cold weather demands a warming drink and something to nibble on, preferably in front of a roaring fire. For the start of my Gourmet Gaming Christmas feast I thought taking a trek back to Skyrim might be worth while due to a lot of requests and let’s not forget its cold, snowy, Nordic landscape. Someone managed to source me some authentic Norfolk mead (thank you!) which I’ve used as my base for creating the infamous Black-Briar brew. I didn’t want it to be just a plain old mead; I felt that spices and fruits available around Skyrim could be added to create a more hearty drink. I’ve also been in enough bars in Skyrim to know that you can’t drink mead without some grilled leeks, why not dip them in a Kajiit’s favourite - Elsweyr Fondue?
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 4-6.
What you will need: Large pot, a sieve and a serving jug/bottle.
200ml / 1 Cup Mead
200ml / 1 Cup Dry Cider
200ml / 1 Cup Cloudy Apple Juice
2 Tablespoons Honey
3 Star Anise
1 Teaspoon Cloves
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Add all the ingredients to a pot and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Sieve the mixture into a clean bowl or serving jug. Can be enjoyed warm or chilled.
What you will need: A pot, a bowl, and a griddle pan.
Salt & Pepper
1 Clove Garlic
- Slice the leeks vertically in half and wash thoroughly in cool water. Pop the halved leeks in a large pot of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 4 minutes or until cooked about half way through, then drain and instantly submerge the leeks in a bowl of ice cold water to stop them from cooking any further.
- Dry the leeks in some paper towels then season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. Warm a griddle pan on a medium heat.
- Lay a few leeks at a time, open side down on the pan. Try to keep them intact so they still have their shape. Turn them gently every few minutes to prevent from burning. Once cooked, lay on a plate or tray to serve.
What you will need: A fondue pot/a heavy pot and a grater.
200ml / 1 Cup Ale
110g / 1 Cup Mature Gruyère (Grated)
110g / 1 Cup Emmental (Grated)
1 Tablespoon Flour
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Sugar
- If you have a fondue pot with a heater than use that. If not – you can also use a heavy pot to melt your ingredients.
- In the pot heat the Ale on a medium heat – do NOT allow it to boil.
- Mix the grated cheeses with the flour until it is lightly coated. Add the cheese a little at a time to the ale, stirring gently. Reduce heat to low.
- Once the cheese has melted, add the nutmeg and sugar and mix gently. Grate over a little more fresh nutmeg and serve.
The original recipe calls for black-market “Moon Sugar” which we know is used to make Skooma, so I had to do some research on what this could be. I instantly thought of nutmeg; it’s seasonal and is a traditional spice to serve with Swiss based fondues. It also has psychoactive and toxic effects if consumed in large amounts, causing sickness and hallucinations – not unlike the in-game drug. Skooma: Not Even Once, Elsweyr Fondue: Delicious. Try dipping in chunks of fresh bread or fruits and eating with savoury preserves or chutneys.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Sweet Rolls.
- finetunedstorm likes this
- undead-lycan likes this
- centimanes likes this
- hwangok likes this
- lamiroirr reblogged this from fictionkin-cuisine
- kaitlinbisneau likes this
- happyshaddow94 likes this
- bitter-bi-witch likes this
- chococat9 likes this
- lifeofaweed likes this
- merveilleuxfood likes this
- nondance reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- queen-of-the-void likes this
- thefourthimpact reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- peachkind likes this
- terminallygallowed likes this
- fictionkin-cuisine reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- shukijenkins likes this
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x likes this
- shinigamiraz likes this
- f0x0n4c1d likes this
- elektravondemon likes this
- theamazingmrcat likes this
- crimsonfairytale reblogged this from iironhide
- iironhide reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- iironhide likes this
- cookingwithmyfriends reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- createthefuckingchaos likes this
- definenormalityuniverse likes this
- svmmichvn likes this
- princeofthevoid likes this
- harlequinqueen reblogged this from kruziikqeth
- blewbeary likes this
- psfox reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- lesbians-for-you likes this
- kiwys-chibis likes this
- kruziikqeth reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- cherrii reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- itsraindropper likes this
- xxkuroikumoxx likes this
- wasabininjas reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- akatosh likes this
- kyreannightblood likes this
- glyphhound likes this
- aurorabell13 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- dagger-kitsune likes this
- leahchips likes this
- hermionegrangerstardis reblogged this from emathevampire
- hermionegrangerstardis likes this
- emathevampire reblogged this from icicleantlers