Christmas Special Drink & Nibbles: Skyrim – Black-Briar Mead, Grilled Leeks & Elsweyr Fondue
Everyone knows cold weather demands a warming drink and something to nibble on, preferably in front of a roaring fire. For the start of my Gourmet Gaming Christmas feast I thought taking a trek back to Skyrim might be worth while due to a lot of requests and let’s not forget its cold, snowy, Nordic landscape. Someone managed to source me some authentic Norfolk mead (thank you!) which I’ve used as my base for creating the infamous Black-Briar brew. I didn’t want it to be just a plain old mead; I felt that spices and fruits available around Skyrim could be added to create a more hearty drink. I’ve also been in enough bars in Skyrim to know that you can’t drink mead without some grilled leeks, why not dip them in a Kajiit’s favourite - Elsweyr Fondue?
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 4-6.
What you will need: Large pot, a sieve and a serving jug/bottle.
200ml / 1 Cup Mead
200ml / 1 Cup Dry Cider
200ml / 1 Cup Cloudy Apple Juice
2 Tablespoons Honey
3 Star Anise
1 Teaspoon Cloves
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Add all the ingredients to a pot and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Sieve the mixture into a clean bowl or serving jug. Can be enjoyed warm or chilled.
What you will need: A pot, a bowl, and a griddle pan.
Salt & Pepper
1 Clove Garlic
- Slice the leeks vertically in half and wash thoroughly in cool water. Pop the halved leeks in a large pot of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 4 minutes or until cooked about half way through, then drain and instantly submerge the leeks in a bowl of ice cold water to stop them from cooking any further.
- Dry the leeks in some paper towels then season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. Warm a griddle pan on a medium heat.
- Lay a few leeks at a time, open side down on the pan. Try to keep them intact so they still have their shape. Turn them gently every few minutes to prevent from burning. Once cooked, lay on a plate or tray to serve.
What you will need: A fondue pot/a heavy pot and a grater.
200ml / 1 Cup Ale
110g / 1 Cup Mature Gruyère (Grated)
110g / 1 Cup Emmental (Grated)
1 Tablespoon Flour
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Sugar
- If you have a fondue pot with a heater than use that. If not – you can also use a heavy pot to melt your ingredients.
- In the pot heat the Ale on a medium heat – do NOT allow it to boil.
- Mix the grated cheeses with the flour until it is lightly coated. Add the cheese a little at a time to the ale, stirring gently. Reduce heat to low.
- Once the cheese has melted, add the nutmeg and sugar and mix gently. Grate over a little more fresh nutmeg and serve.
The original recipe calls for black-market “Moon Sugar” which we know is used to make Skooma, so I had to do some research on what this could be. I instantly thought of nutmeg; it’s seasonal and is a traditional spice to serve with Swiss based fondues. It also has psychoactive and toxic effects if consumed in large amounts, causing sickness and hallucinations – not unlike the in-game drug. Skooma: Not Even Once, Elsweyr Fondue: Delicious. Try dipping in chunks of fresh bread or fruits and eating with savoury preserves or chutneys.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Sweet Rolls.
- instangdfis likes this
- imighteatyoursoul likes this
- chrsadms likes this
- thebatfreak likes this
- ieattoomanyskittles likes this
- spaceelf likes this
- blacksheeplabs likes this
- polyreaper likes this
- homesweethomewreckage likes this
- woodfallcrossing likes this
- bunkatsu likes this
- icanthelpbeinganerd likes this
- jadelicat likes this
- koromarimo likes this
- desdinova likes this
- xcrims0n reblogged this from macdaddygee
- chllnn reblogged this from macdaddygee
- macdaddygee reblogged this from jokerstrife
- lesitedupharmacien likes this
- lakruhmohs likes this
- bloodfromanarrow likes this
- mackiemae likes this
- lizzlefizzle1992 likes this
- otherasian reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- mylovelybrighteyes likes this
- astrosmusings likes this
- kimaira-london reblogged this from soloontherocks
- tehmurmur reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- tehmurmur likes this
- underhersky likes this
- beriani reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- beriani likes this
- mesatawe likes this
- delishus-mohawk reblogged this from kinfood
- soulaesthesia likes this
- i-am-queen-of-the-kittykats likes this
- buttella likes this
- hangedwoman likes this
- brynja-storm likes this
- trollinthekitchen likes this
- doktorjekyll likes this
- gitaxian-carnitor likes this
- pvtpuma reblogged this from kinfood
- efaun reblogged this from kinfood
- kinfood reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sweetlysheep likes this
- smoking-grace reblogged this from tainted-petals
- tainted-petals reblogged this from gourmetgaming