Sonic The Hedgehog – Chili Dog A La Sonic
It’s a renowned fact that Sonic loves Chili Dogs, I remember it vividly as a running theme in the Sonic cartoons (Remember? That ended with that amusing oh so 90’s “Sonic Sez” feature?). I first played Sonic on my aunts Sega Mega Drive and when I was dragged to numerous house parties as a kid I would take the console with me and set it up in a bedroom and guests would drop in and play with me. Although I’m sure Social Services would have something to say about this it is one of my fondest childhood memories. Chili Dogs have appeared in numerous versions of the game and a recipe for “Chili Dog A La Sonic” was even published in the first issue of the Archie ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ comics which I have faithfully reproduced.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 6.
What you will need: A large pot and a spoon!
450g / 1lb Ground Beef
100g / ½ Cup White Onion (Chopped)
100g / ½ Cup Peppers (Chopped)
100g / ½ Cup Mushrooms (Chopped)
400g / 2 Cups Tinned Chopped/Crushed Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
210ml / 8 fl oz Barbecue Sauce
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
400g / 2 Cups Kidney Beans (Tinned or Pre-cooked)
6 Hot Dogs
6 Hot Dog Buns
Making the Chili Dogs:
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot then brown the beef. Add the onions, peppers and mushroom and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes, add the Worcestershire sauce and the barbecue sauce and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, ground cumin, oregano and the kidney beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste then simmer for a further hour.
- Add the hot dogs to the chili sauce and cook them for 10-15 minutes. While the hot dogs cook, lightly toast the hog dog buns.
- Once cooked, serve the hot dogs in the toasted buns, pour over the chili and add your favourite garnishes.
There’s a few ways to enjoy these Chili Dogs - if you’re a veggie you’re not alone; Sonic’s sister Sonia The Hedgehog (genius) enjoys hers as tofu-dogs while Tails prefers his smothered in melted cheese. I served mine with some rather fitting baby red onion rings. But the most important question is why aren’t chili dogs more popular?! This is officially one of my favourite things to eat now - whenever I make chili I will no longer be serving it with rice or tortillas or wedges, no screw that! Instead I’m tossing in some hot dogs. He may be blue but damn that hedgehog knows how to eat.
Thanks to thesoniczone.net for posting all the old Sonic comics.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Golden Axe - The Meat.
- f0x0n4c1d likes this
- odiumvincitamor likes this
- magnellio likes this
- mcbowie reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- elfnette likes this
- bringonthatpecanpie likes this
- soraelna reblogged this from satsukisboot
- soraelna likes this
- satsukisboot reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- satsukisboot likes this
- kawiigirl86 likes this
- createthefuckingchaos likes this
- randomminecrafterposts likes this
- lesbians-for-you likes this
- calicology reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bnoffeepi likes this
- dagger-kitsune likes this
- samirose144 likes this
- zombibmo likes this
- quarticchrono likes this
- yeagatsu128 likes this
- marickzero likes this
- coolgirlwhoisfriendly reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- spyromancy likes this
- castinluckgamer likes this
- like-daisy likes this
- uhohtpyo likes this
- zachtheimpailer reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- shionbroslover likes this
- pyromantical likes this
- chaohime likes this
- johnny-the-robot likes this
- pigeonsaurus reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- inokoo likes this
- badboylol likes this
- spottly reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- subaru00 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- subaru00 likes this
- kkobun likes this
- wtpyrofreak reblogged this from gamebuddy123
- wtpyrofreak likes this
- bunnyasylum1690 likes this
- khenpoe reblogged this from gamebuddy123
- trackertheblog likes this
- sorcererlance reblogged this from gamebuddy123
- gamebuddy123 reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- enderdragonite likes this
- c4mbot likes this