Costume Quest – Pizza Sundae
Pizza Sundae was the big winner of the Costume Quest vote, even my own mother was begging for this one to win! When thinking about how to make this I had to consider quite a few things – is this more savoury and pizza based? Or sweet and ice-cream based? I decided that blue layer indicated something sweeter, in fact it reminded me of fond memories eating tutti-frutti ‘Smurf’ ice-cream in Italy as a child. So I constructed a kind of pie filled with the many layers and heart of an ice-cream sundae.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 6-8.
What you will need: 9 inch pie dish, greaseproof paper/baking parchment, baking tray, large and medium bowls, a whisk.
For the Base:
110g / 1 Cup Salted Peanuts (Finely chopped/crushed)
200g / 1½ Cups Digestive Biscuits (Crushed)
50g / ¼ Cup Butter (Melted)
For the Sundae:
200g / 2 Cups Good quality:
- Strawberry Ice-cream
- White Vanilla Ice-cream
- Chocolate Ice-cream
Red & Blue Food Colouring
18g / ½ Cup Mini Marshmallows (The smaller the better)
50g / ½ Cup Small Chocolate Chips/Chunks
200ml / 1 Cups Double Cream
6 Tablespoons White Caster Sugar
8 Glacé Cherries (Halved)
Preparing the Base:
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F and place the baking tray inside to heat up. Grease and line the pie dish and set aside.
- In a bowl add the peanuts, crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pie dish and make a few holes in the base with a fork. Place the pie dish in the oven on top of the preheated baking tray and cook for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge to chill.
Preparing the Sundae:
- Remove the strawberry ice-cream from the fridge and allow it to soften – not too much, just enough that it is manageable. Once soft, adjust the colour (if not pink enough) with a little red food colouring and mix well.
- Mix the mini marshmallows into the strawberry ice-cream then pour the mixture into the pie crust ensuring it is smooth and even. Place in the freezer to chill.
- Next remove the vanilla ice-cream and allow to soften. This time add a few drops of blue food colouring and mix well until the right shade has been achieved.
- Take the now frozen pie from the freezer - please make sure each layer is fully frozen before you add the next otherwise they will mix and it will be more difficult! Pour the blue-vanilla ice-cream on top, spread evenly then return to the freezer to set.
- Once frozen again, remove the chocolate ice-cream and allow to soften. Add a few drops of red food colouring to add a subtle red hue to the chocolate layer. Mix in the chocolate chunks/chips.
- Pour the chocolate ice-cream over the blue-vanilla then return the pie to the freezer.
- Take the pie from the freezer 20 minutes before serving to allow to thaw. Whip the double cream, slowly adding the sugar to taste, then add the whipped cream on top and scatter with glacé cherries. Serve with a hot chocolate or fudge sauce if desired.
From above, the Pizza Sundae actually looks like a pizza covered in some bizarre red olives – mission accomplished! Originally I wanted the crust to be a cookie crust, but after a bit of research I discovered this wouldn’t freeze very well and was forced to use a cheesecake style base. I added in some salted peanuts to create a nice contrast with the sweetness of the ice-cream filing – I always love nuts in my sundaes for this reason and it works just as well here. I had toyed with the idea of the blue layer maybe being minty but decided in the end to go with the classic Neapolitan flavours – the vanilla layer acting as a nice balance between the strong flavours of the strawberry and chocolate. I was really worried this wasn’t going to work and I seriously impressed even myself when I finally cut it open! With whipped cream and a cherries on top I think the Pizza Sundae is the future of sundaes and the combinations are nearly endless!
- twignapped reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- twignapped likes this
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- newyearsmacaroni-and-h4x likes this
- megalittlezombie likes this
- scav-church likes this
- thebizarreimmortal reblogged this from sciaenopsthemonkeyartist
- sciaenopsthemonkeyartist reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sciaenopsthemonkeyartist likes this
- theamityvilletoaster reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- askpredetor likes this
- maragallen likes this
- swampfairies likes this
- sarahlils likes this
- rawr-im-a-zombie reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- rawr-im-a-zombie likes this
- thejackknife reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thejackknife likes this
- bnoffeepi likes this
- eranmslingby likes this
- wildspirit329 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- telepathic-octopus likes this
- poptartspirit likes this
- yeagatsu128 likes this
- blynxee likes this
- k8extreme reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- k8extreme likes this
- usagi-sioh likes this
- zachtheimpailer reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- toonskribblez likes this
- nerdyspace1999 likes this
- oolongated likes this
- halfpastmonsoon reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- candlelightchaos28 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- candlelightchaos28 likes this
- inokoo likes this
- beautifullytragic8 likes this
- pixelspirit likes this
- nanamicreamcola likes this
- combattbaby likes this
- swirlicanes likes this
- roguishwolves likes this
- eveesteevees likes this
- sincerelychoatic likes this
- okabees likes this
- risa-bettou likes this
- princeofgrebes likes this
- happybraindeath reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- happybraindeath likes this
- alanriggs likes this