Costume Quest – Pizza Sundae
Pizza Sundae was the big winner of the Costume Quest vote, even my own mother was begging for this one to win! When thinking about how to make this I had to consider quite a few things – is this more savoury and pizza based? Or sweet and ice-cream based? I decided that blue layer indicated something sweeter, in fact it reminded me of fond memories eating tutti-frutti ‘Smurf’ ice-cream in Italy as a child. So I constructed a kind of pie filled with the many layers and heart of an ice-cream sundae.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 6-8.
What you will need: 9 inch pie dish, greaseproof paper/baking parchment, baking tray, large and medium bowls, a whisk.
For the Base:
110g / 1 Cup Salted Peanuts (Finely chopped/crushed)
200g / 1½ Cups Digestive Biscuits (Crushed)
50g / ¼ Cup Butter (Melted)
For the Sundae:
200g / 2 Cups Good quality:
- Strawberry Ice-cream
- White Vanilla Ice-cream
- Chocolate Ice-cream
Red & Blue Food Colouring
18g / ½ Cup Mini Marshmallows (The smaller the better)
50g / ½ Cup Small Chocolate Chips/Chunks
200ml / 1 Cups Double Cream
6 Tablespoons White Caster Sugar
8 Glacé Cherries (Halved)
Preparing the Base:
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F and place the baking tray inside to heat up. Grease and line the pie dish and set aside.
- In a bowl add the peanuts, crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pie dish and make a few holes in the base with a fork. Place the pie dish in the oven on top of the preheated baking tray and cook for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge to chill.
Preparing the Sundae:
- Remove the strawberry ice-cream from the fridge and allow it to soften – not too much, just enough that it is manageable. Once soft, adjust the colour (if not pink enough) with a little red food colouring and mix well.
- Mix the mini marshmallows into the strawberry ice-cream then pour the mixture into the pie crust ensuring it is smooth and even. Place in the freezer to chill.
- Next remove the vanilla ice-cream and allow to soften. This time add a few drops of blue food colouring and mix well until the right shade has been achieved.
- Take the now frozen pie from the freezer - please make sure each layer is fully frozen before you add the next otherwise they will mix and it will be more difficult! Pour the blue-vanilla ice-cream on top, spread evenly then return to the freezer to set.
- Once frozen again, remove the chocolate ice-cream and allow to soften. Add a few drops of red food colouring to add a subtle red hue to the chocolate layer. Mix in the chocolate chunks/chips.
- Pour the chocolate ice-cream over the blue-vanilla then return the pie to the freezer.
- Take the pie from the freezer 20 minutes before serving to allow to thaw. Whip the double cream, slowly adding the sugar to taste, then add the whipped cream on top and scatter with glacé cherries. Serve with a hot chocolate or fudge sauce if desired.
From above, the Pizza Sundae actually looks like a pizza covered in some bizarre red olives – mission accomplished! Originally I wanted the crust to be a cookie crust, but after a bit of research I discovered this wouldn’t freeze very well and was forced to use a cheesecake style base. I added in some salted peanuts to create a nice contrast with the sweetness of the ice-cream filing – I always love nuts in my sundaes for this reason and it works just as well here. I had toyed with the idea of the blue layer maybe being minty but decided in the end to go with the classic Neapolitan flavours – the vanilla layer acting as a nice balance between the strong flavours of the strawberry and chocolate. I was really worried this wasn’t going to work and I seriously impressed even myself when I finally cut it open! With whipped cream and a cherries on top I think the Pizza Sundae is the future of sundaes and the combinations are nearly endless!
- cecilgetswifi likes this
- shitidropdownmycleavage likes this
- mars-is-a-rush likes this
- bobo-jinky reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bobo-jinky likes this
- kbaby0513 likes this
- superrobotrocketarmadillo likes this
- mikemeekin likes this
- salinex likes this
- myriarn reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- theburningtimesofmymanhood likes this
- interimnity likes this
- dreamadept likes this
- ichiigosan likes this
- noncutiebooty likes this
- tumtummytum reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- inarikitsune likes this
- kuzket likes this
- neizpaust reblogged this from lsrcps
- ancianocianoficeo likes this
- heart-into-a-monster likes this
- seethosespiderlillies likes this
- forbiddentofly likes this
- ainhanifah reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kaiissleeping likes this
- sodapopsimba reblogged this from pbsecretsanta
- sodapopsimba likes this
- cambuckk likes this
- pbsecretsanta reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- pbsecretsanta likes this
- orsino-osvald likes this
- moonrider101 likes this
- audiovideodiscotheque likes this
- notfunnymistahj reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- thisissmee987 likes this
- cassiefosho likes this
- bitch--please--im--fabulous likes this
- furbycake likes this
- cnhgirl likes this
- decembermagpie reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- omghiperson reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- cattomicnuko likes this
- fujoboka likes this
- eggsorcism likes this
- blaze--fire reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- velociraptorsandscience likes this
- chibinekocat likes this
- reinaldeismee reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- cistiel reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- sugoibroandkawaiijeff likes this