Request: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Yeto’s Soup
I had planned on doing this soup for a while so when I got a number of requests through for anything from Zelda I thought this seasonal soup would fit in nicely. Also since most of us will be taking part in my favourite activity of pumpkin carving next week it would be useful to have a pumpkin based recipe. I have fond memories of Twilight Princess, it felt a lot more traditional than incarnations such as Wind Waker, although I must admit my favourite Zelda is actually Links Awakening (controversial). Yeto’s Soup comes from Yeto, a rather cuddly looking yeti, in the Snowpeak Ruins. His wife, Yeta, is very sick but you can help by giving Yeto the ingredients for his healing soup. It goes through three stages of strength – a Reekfish creates a Simple Soup, adding an Ordon Pumpkin makes Good Soup and finally adding Ordon Goats Cheese makes it a Superb Soup that restores eight hearts. Obviously I’m going for the full eight heart Superb Soup here.
Click ‘Read More’ for the full recipe!
This recipe serves 3-4.
What you will need:
A large pot, grater, baking tray, frying pan, baking tray, blender or hand blender.
For the Soup:
50g / ¼ Cup Butter
300g / 0.7lbs Pumpkin (Skinned and Choppped)
200g / 0.5lbs Sweet Potato (Skinned and Chopped)
2 Shallots (Chopped)
1 Small Clove Garlic
½ Teaspoon Grated Ginger
500ml / 2 Cups Vegetable/Chicken Stock
1-2 Tablespoons Goats Cheese
70 ml / ½ Cup Cream
75g / ½ Cup Smoked Haddock
75g / ½ Cup Pollock
Salt & Pepper
For the Pumpkin Garnish:
3 Pumpkin Wedges
1 Tablespoon Butter
Salt & Pepper
½ Teaspoon Dried Chilli Flakes
For the Potato Croutons:
1 Medium Potato
Salt & Pepper
For the Carrot Tops:
5 Small carrots (Stalks On)
1 Tablespoon Butter
Preparing the Soup:
- In a large pot on a medium heat melt the butter. Add the shallots, garlic and ginger and cook until soft. Add the pumpkin and sweet potato chunks and stir well, allowing to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable/chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the pumpkin and sweet potato has cooked through. Once cooked transfer to a clean bowl and blend (or use a blender). Return the soup to a clean pot, if it’s too thick then slowly add more vegetable stock until the desired texture is achieved. Set the soup aside while you prepare the garnishes.
Making the Pumpkin Slices:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/392F. Chop the pumpkin wedges into chunks and lay them onto a baking tray, cover with the butter, season and add the chilli flakes. Cook until soft and golden.
Making the Potato Croutons:
- Dice the potato into small cubes and heat some olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the potatoes and season to taste, fry until crisp and golden brown.
Making the Carrot Tops:
- Heat the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the carrots and allow to cook until slightly soft.
Finishing the Soup:
- In a warm frying pan add a little olive oil and heat. Add the smoked haddock and pollock and fry for 1 minute. Pour in the cream and season with salt and pepper, allow the fish to cook for about 5 minutes in the cream.
- Once the fish has cooked pour the cream mixture into the pumpkin soup, add the goats cheese and stir gently. Warm the soup through on a low heat so the goats cheese can melt.
- Serve and garnish with the potato croutons, roast pumpkin slices and glazed carrot tops.
This is an interesting soup. I’ve never cooked with pumpkin or any type of gourd before, it’s not really as popular a thing to do here as it is in America (I still need to try pumpkin pie). There’s a nice balance of sweetness that’s cut by the sharpness of the goats cheese and smokiness of the fish – it is actually one of the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted. I was not expecting it to be! I originally wanted to use monkfish but I couldn’t source any so I went with fish traditionally used in fish pies. I think the mixture of the smoked and white fish creates an interesting flavour that might mimic an actual Reekfish (despite it being based on a type of salmon). Yeto was definitely on to something with this soup and if it’s hearty enough for the Snowpeak Ruins then it’s a winter winner for me - I can feel my hearts restoring as I type.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Pokémon - Poffins.
Don’t forget! Next week will be the Costume Quest Hallowe’en Special that you all voted for!
- sludge-dog likes this
- kittlesandbugs reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- bansheeeeee reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- angelwithanassbutt likes this
- ihavenowallet likes this
- darkpit2012 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- r-to-the-core reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- r-to-the-core likes this
- giroroh reblogged this from lamiroirr
- lamiroirr reblogged this from fictionkin-cuisine
- shakespearescurrentlover likes this
- galladerocksgamer reblogged this from bigtponders
- galladerocksgamer likes this
- consultingdoctorsassbutt likes this
- bigtponders reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- happyshaddow94 likes this
- detragiganto likes this
- sadisticscribe reblogged this from gourmetgaming and added:
- sadisticscribe likes this
- boomstab-papa reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- reidermang reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- snonners likes this
- oirakuru reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- the-east-hunter likes this
- merveilleuxfood reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- merveilleuxfood likes this
- quaintcutwork reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- viridiancaffie likes this
- seakin-magda likes this
- waluigiegg likes this
- coast-robbo reblogged this from bundere
- screaminggavins likes this
- kyanabite likes this
- bundere reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- bundere likes this
- fictionkin-cuisine reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- peachkind likes this
- terminallygallowed reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- terminallygallowed likes this
- allaboardthen0petrain likes this
- littleianthonythings likes this
- frezziedez reblogged this from revive-the-books
- revive-the-books reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- teatimepearls reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- daretogamepear likes this
- shukijenkins likes this
- nympheline likes this
- axellae reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- shinigamiraz likes this
- f0x0n4c1d likes this